Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A love affair with my closet: Sunny's vintage Carrera sunglasses


When my mom's mom, Sunny Sullivan, passed away a few years back, she left me innumerable personal treasures. Treasures rich with romance and family history. I find myself wearing something that belonged to her, every day. My pieces have a story and a magnetism about them. A spark that can only come from personal items truly loved and enjoyed by their owner.

I found these 1970's Carrera sunglasses in the bottom of a box of my Grandma's belongings. They are very "Sunny". Oversized, over-the-top, bohemian and a little disco. The lenses almost look like bug eyes, they are so huge and oddly shaped. At first I wasn't sure if I liked them, or if they looked good on me. But as time went on I began to appreciate the large protective lenses. I also had never seen them on any one else ever before!! I tried to do a little research on the style and value of these glasses, but have had limited results. I don't think I would ever be able to repair them if a lens pops out or breaks. So I try my best to keep them safe. 

People ask me about my vintage Carrera's all the time. I just tell them that they have a story, and that makes them priceless to me. 

I took this photo on the street I live on in San Francisco. I am also wearing my Grandma Sunny's vintage crochet shawl.

1 comment:

  1. Those ARE some amazing glasses. You pull them off, too.

    Hey, listen, I think my pop might have known your Grandma Sunny way back in the day, and he's tried to track her down from time to time over the years. He stumbled on this post and was sad to see that maybe she passed away.

    I realize this is a public comment, and so this is kind of a weird way to ask, but is there a way that we can maybe get in touch with you to find out if this is the same Sunny?

    ReplyDelete